A basnaesite sample from the EZ-ID spectral libraries.
An allanite library sample from EZ-ID. EZ-ID matches your target scan to library samples like this.
Identifying Light Rare Earths (LREEs) with an oreXpress
1 Canal Street ◊ Unit B1
Lawrence, MA 01840 USA
Tel: 978 687-1833 ◊ Fax: 978 945-0372
Copyright © 2012 Spectral Evolution, Inc
An oreXpress field spectrometer with EZ-ID mineral identification
software can be used in exploration and identification of light
rare earth bearing minerals. Light rare earths or LREEs include:
Unlike other metals rare earths are abundant but not in minable
concentrations. Most rare earths are found in uncommon types
of igneous rocks, especially alkaline rocks and carbonatites.
MInerals that can contain rar earths include euxenite,
bastnaesite, xeotime,monazite, and allanite.
Bastnaesite is a rare LREE bearing carbonate mineral. It is
closely related to the mineral parisite and can sometimes replace
crystals of allanite. Allanite belongs to the epidote mineral group
and is one of the more common LREE bearing minerals in
igneous rock, but rarely in minable quantities. Allanites can be
found in granites, syenites, diorites, and associated pegmatites.
Allanite and bastnaesite nspectra are part of the EZ-ID available
The oreXpress and EZ-ID mineral identification software, are well-
suited for exploration geologists looking for LREE deposits.
Every oreXpress geological spectrometer includes our DARWin
SP Data Acquisition software and is available with EZ-ID and the
Custom Library Builder Module. EZ-ID allows you to compare your
target sample with a known library of mineral spectra. EZ-ID
comes with the USGS spectral library and is available with the
SpecMIN library from Spectral International.
- Fast and accurate identification of an unknown mineral to a
known spectral library sample
- Ease-of-use: take your scan using an oreXpress or
oreXpress platinum and see results in real-time
- Simple, consistent user interface
- USGS and SpecMIN libraries available
- Weighted score for best matches
- Include or exclude spectral regions of interest for optimal
Using an oreXpress with EZ-ID delivers the following benefits for
exploration geologists exploring for LREEs:
- Quickly take a lot of samples
- Cover more ground in less time
- More accurate data provides a more complete picture of
what you are looking at
- Less time and expense than waiting for samples to come
back from the lab
- Less drilling - better results quickly delivers a return-on-