Rugged and portable – designed for field use
The oreXpert field spectrometer is specifically designed to provide the highest resolution available for the harsh requirements of field use. Its high resolutionallows the distinction of features that help with unmixing and identification of trace minerals. The oreXpert covers the UV/VIS/NIR range from 350-2500 nanometers. It features ultra high resolution and very stable performance with three high density thermoelectrically cooled photodiode arrays.
Resolution at FWHM for the oreXpert is:
- 1.5nm @ 700nm
- 3.0nm @ 1500nm
- 3.8nm @ 2100nm
Resolution is achieved using three high density solid state thermoelectrically cooled photodiode arrays:
- 1024 element TE-cooled silicon phtotodiode array detector (VIS-NIR)
- 512 element TE-cooled InGaAs photodiode array detector (SWIR 1)
- 512 element TE-cooled extended InGaAs photodiode array detector (SWIR 2)
The oreXpert features the following Noise Equivalence Radiance (NER) performance with a 1.5 meter fiber optic:
- 1.0 x 10-9 W/cm2/nm/sr @ 400nm
- 2.8 x 10-9 W/cm2/nm/sr @ 1500nm
- 6.8 x 10-9 W/cm2/nm/sr @ 2100nm
NER is a measure of instrument sensitivity. Other features of the oreXpert include:
- All fixed optics – no moving parts for rugged reliability
- Auto-exposure, auto dark current shutter
- DARWin SP Data Acquisition software saves all scans as ASCII files for use with other software programs
The oreXpert includes wireless Bluetooth and USB communications and has an operating range from 0-40°C. Physical parameters include:
12.4 x 8.7 x 4.4 inches (31.5 x 22.9 x 38.7 cm)
11 pounds (4.99 kg)
What kind of applications will benefit from the higher resolution?
- Mineral identification and analysis where resolution can help to distinguish
between minerals with very similar spectra or to unmix and identify minerals in trace amounts.
- Alteration mapping
- More accurately identify mineral pathfinders for vectoring to ore deposits
The higher resolution of the oreXpert allows you to see more features and more detail in your scans. This closeup shows the oreXpert in blue versus a standard field spectrometer in green. The oreXpert shows the additional features in the scan which can be used for more accurate mineral identification of this clay sample and better analysis of its components.
In this example, the talc sample shows an absorption feature at higher resolution with the oreXpert (blue) that is completely missed with a high resolution standard field spectrometer (green).
The oreXpert features a rugged design for field use and can be carried in a backpack.
The oreXpert can be be used with the 10mm contact probe, Miniprobe, or ILM-660 for identification and analysis of minerals.
Use the oreXpert with EZ-ID mineral identification software and match to 2600 mineral spectra for over 1100 minerals form three available libraries.